Tuesday 19 March 2013

A different post: Contraception

Hello Everyone

A bit of a different post for you all today, but I have been sitting on this one for a while and it's something I have wanted to write about. I find the topic of contraception a topic that is shied away from- people don't like to open up and talk about it. But I ask myself- why? It's a perfectly normal thing and very common. I understand though, it's not an easy to talk about, and who do you talk to about it? That seems to be the bigger question. So I've been wanting to share my story with you all, I'm hoping it will help some of you in some way.

When I was at school I suffered really bad with my periods. Sometimes I wouldn't be able to walk because of the amount of pain I was in. This would lead to time off school occasionally. It became unbearable sometimes. So I went to the doctor and was put on the pill at the age of 16. I was put on Microgynon 30. It worked really well and I was on it for ages, it also helped with my acne. But after about 2 years I was starting to have irregular bleeding. I went back to the doctor and my pill was changed to Brevinor. But this one didn't suit me so it wasn't long till I was changed to another pill. I was put on Trinovum which is a tri-phasic pill (where the levels change from week to week.) This went better but the problems were still there. At this point I went back to a different doctor and she told me that I shouldn't of been on the pill as I suffer from migraines from time to time. I was advised to look at other methods, so I did, I booked in at the family planning clinic and have a chat with someone there. So two weeks ago I have the implant fitted- Nexplanon. Before going for this I searched high and low for reviews and peoples experiences online. There were so horror stories and none of them were really helpful towards me. But I went for it, and so far I'm fine. So this brings me to want to write about my experience to maybe help others out there who may be thinking about this. I'm going to do updates in diary form so it can be followed, as I don't even know how it will work for me yet!

People use contraceptives for other reasons other than birth control, such as to sort periods or to treat acne and excess hair. It should be a topic that we feel we should all be able to talk about, as it's something that will come into our worlds whether we like it or not really. If one type of contraception doesn't work for you then there are many other options out there for you to try, for example there are loads of varieties of the pill so if one doesn't work there will be one out there that will work for you! Contraception seems to be something that you need to keep trying until you get it right. I mean, currently I don't know if Nexplanon is the right method for me, but so far I'm feeling pretty confident about it, as after taking the pill everyday for 3 years- I'm looking forward to not having to do that and being protected for three years instead! 

So my first post will be about the experience of having the implant and the procedure. This should hopefully be up within the next week!

In the meantime I hope you all feel that you can chat to one another about your own experiences, or ask questions :) let this be a place where people can talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment